Documentation ( was Re: [Mulgara-dev] Re: Bug list and versions)

thomas thomas at stray.net
Tue Nov 21 11:00:12 UTC 2006

--On 20. November 2006 19:24:18 -0800 "Life is hard, and then you die"
<ronald at innovation.ch> wrote:

> Just from personal preference, I like to have the docs as purely
> static pages so I can browse them locally without having to actually
> start up and run a webserver just to display them. So I'm not
> particularly fond of idea of using SSI.

an SSI-generated site can easily be harvested with any webcrawler and just
as easily be packaged into the distribution as a static copy. the SSI is
only used at that one location where the site is edited and built. that
will probably also be the location from where the site is served to the
web, but it doesn't have to. all other copies will be static.
with 200+ pages it would be quite tedious to change the navigation in every
page if you want to add or remove a page or change it's name. some other
things like certain parts of headers and footers can be stuffed into
includes as well. this makes the process of hand editing less error prone.

ciao
thomas

mailto:thomas at stray.net
http://stray.net

: accumulated wisdom
. early optimization is the root of many evil [donald e. knuth]
. if you've got a hammer every problem looks like a nail
. there is nothing so practical as a good theory
. langsame arbeit schafft feine ware