[Mulgara-dev] Question about: INSERT/SELECT regression bug

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Wed Nov 15 18:08:26 UTC 2006

Just an extra comment on something you said a couple of weeks ago...

On Oct 31, 2006, at 12:05 PM, David Moll wrote:
> One of the operations that we do a fair amount in Mulgara/TKS that
> gives us a bit of a headache is doing modify/deletes.  Mainly
> because we need to ensure that when deleting a triple, we don't
> leave any "orphaned" triples lower on the graph.
>
> My end goal is to fully automate the ability to insert, modify and
> delete information in the data store with a thin client that will
> automatically generate the proper iTQL queries based on user
> input.  In building up to this, I am trying to determine exactly
> what queries I need to run in order to successfully modify
> information in the data store.

Your comments (and the ensuing question) imply a problem with the
lack of a "modify" operation.  I agree that this is an issue, but at
the same time I'd like to defend Mulgara by pointing out that this is
not an RDF issue.

RDF is all about "statements".  This is what Mulgara works with.
 From this perspective, Mulgara does it's work just fine.

To think about objects with properties that can be "changed", you are
applying a new layer of semantics over RDF.  These semantics are
reasonably well described in RDFS, and even more-so in OWL.  But
without this level of semantics, the statements of:
   <_:personA> <ns:hasName> "Fred"
and
   <_:personA> <ns:hasName> "Fred Flintstone"
Are completely unrelated statements.  They may share the same subject
and property, but that's it.  This is the cause of your difficulties.

While RDF is a fantastic building block, I think that it is very
important to have a semantic layer over the top as well.  A few
months ago at work I had to build just such a layer, where objects
with properties were defined, and even some OWL structure was put in
place.  While doing this I encountered exactly the same problem with
"updates".  However, this is definitely an issue at the higher
semantic level, rather than in Mulgara itself.

I'd like to see a semantic API like this released as a library for
Mulgara, maybe as a new API, or possibly as a sister project.  It
should certainly make use of the rules engine, with RDFS, and ideally
with OWL.  It would be nice to release the code I've done already,
but that belongs to my employer rather than me.  However, I can tell
you from experience that this approach is very powerful, and makes
life a lot easier for anyone doing RDF/RDFS/OWL modeling.

Is anyone interested in looking at this with me?