[Mulgara-dev] Proper machine to run Mulgara on?

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Wed Jun 7 19:07:35 UTC 2006

Hi,

I can only provide my own perspective here, but it may be useful.

On Jun 7, 2006, at 11:31 AM, Ben Hysell wrote:
> We don’t run a federation…so each one of these servers are separate
> from one another and do not work together.  We have an x64 machine
> with Windows XP x64 we have attempted to load Mulgara on, however
> Sun doesn’t seem to provide a 1.4.2 Java build for the x64 and the
> 1.5 build does not run all that smoothly (I would need to check
> with the other developers, but if I remember correctly we could run
> a couple of queries and bring the system down).

Once I have the Kowari sources converted completely to Mulgara I'll
be looking at 1.5 (I've converted the sources, but I have some bugs
to track down.  I don't yet know if I've created them, or if they
snuck into the Kowari sources before I started the change)

It's not out there in the public, but I've had great success moving
Kowari from 1.4 to 1.5.  The reason I never released it is because I
couldn't figure out a way to configure the system to run on either
JVM.  Now that Mulgara is on the scene we're using the opportunity to
move completely to 1.5.  That should get checked in the next couple
of weeks.

> What does everyone else run Mulgara on?  Given unlimited resources
> what hardware/software combination would you set up a new Mulgara
> system on?

I gather that you're asking this question for performance?

Almost all the developers I know are now running Kowari/Mulgara on
Apple Macs.  :-)  However, that's not for performance, but rather for
the flexibility of the environment.

At Tucana, Kowari was entirely developed on Intel/Linux, but with
regular testing on Windows 2000.  I don't have proof, but I always
got the impression that Linux performed a little better.  I think
that this is mostly due to the way Java interacts with the filesystem.

My other machine (still in shipping, but I may see it in a week or
two) is a P4 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 2x160GB SATA drives.  I usually run
Linux on this machine, and it handles Kowari just fine (I'd often use
this machine as it was faster than my PowerBook).  I have also run
Windows XP on this machine, and found Kowari was pretty good, but
it's been 18 months since I last did that.  When the computer arrives
I'll be putting XP on it and running Mulgara there, mostly for
testing purposes

Tucana's "performance platform" was a dual Opteron running Linux.  A
big reason for having this machine was for the 64 bit address space.
With a 64 bit address space we could memory map hundreds of GB of
files (though we discovered an artificial limit of about 360GB.  This
was imposed by the OS.  64 bit Solaris also has a limit like this).
Memory mapping files like this reduces the number of memory copies
being performed, and also allows the OS to perform its own
optimization on disk access, using RAM as much as possible.

Others can give the details better than I can, but I believe that the
machine had:
- Dual CPUs  (2 GHz?  I can't recall)
- 16GB RAM
- 1 TB drive array (RAID-0 I think)

64 bits is important for optimizing CPU access to RAM and disk.  The
RAM was important to reduce disk access.  Using striped RAID was to
maximize disk speed.  Of course, disk access is the most important
once you start looking at hundreds of GB.

All of the performance claims (that I know of) were done using this
machine.  It outperformed the Linux desktops by an order of magnitude.

Hope this helps.