[Mulgara-dev] Subversion

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Fri Jun 2 18:22:34 UTC 2006

Hi Brian,

If you check it in before I do, then I have no problems with this.  :-)

My concerns with Eclipse and Subversion were because I think it might
do a refactor as an "svn remove" and an "svn add" instead of an "svn
mv".  I wanted the "mv" command so we wouldn't lose the history
behind any files.

However, in tagging kowari-1.2 it looks like we don't have a history
for any of the files in the latest tag anyway.  (Not sure if this was
intentional or what, but that's how it is).  So at this point it
doesn't actually matter if there's a remove/add or a mv.

Also, we'll want to do a general clean up of "kowari" strings in the
code as well.  This is so we can catch the internal URIs which are
used for special operations.  We also need to pick the the "tucana"
URIs as well.  We were supposed to convert the tucana URIs for Kowari
as well, but that doesn't matter now.  This will include test code,
data files, etc.

Once we're done, the only reference I want to see to "Kowari" is in
any legal statements we make on copyright (since we have to attribute
copyright of the original source to the new owner).

As for introductions: of course I can see the list of people who've
subscribed to the list, but it would be rude for me to "out" them.  I
recognize a number of the names though.

For anyone who doesn't know me, I was one of the first developers on
TKS.  Of course, the core of TKS was eventually open-sourced and
called Kowari.  I worked at Plugged In (which became Tucana) from
early 2000, until the company was dissolved at the end of 2004.

During my time at Tucana I co-wrote the storage layer for TKS with
David Makepeace.  I also worked on the query resolution with Simon
Raboczi.  I then spent about 8 months "fixing bugs" and adding
features at every layer of the code.  This was frustrating work at
the time (since I couldn't concentrate on anything for more than a
week or two), but it gave me a good overview of the whole system.

During 2004 I started working on RDFS and OWL for Kowari, and this
continued into 2005.  I wrote the rules engine called Krule, which
can currently process inferences for RDFS.  Krule is also capable of
OWL-Lite, though the required rule set is not yet published.  I can
(and have) done OWL processing with Kowari, but it's mostly been in
external applications.  Hopefully I can have this integrated and
committed in the near future.

My current job description includes the word "semantics", but I've
still yet to work out what that means.  However, it means Herzum
Software lets me use Kowari/Mulgara, and has agreed to let me spend
some of my working time on the project.  Unfortunately, that time has
recently been sucked up into learning Mailman/Postfix/Tomcat/Jira/
Confluence, but I'm hoping that I'm past most of that now and can get
back to development.  :-)

Regards,
Paul Gearon