[Mulgara-dev] Legal Issues

David Wood dwood at softwarememetics.com
Tue Jul 18 02:15:31 UTC 2006

Hi all,

This message provides an update on legal issues for Mulgara's v1.2
(initial) release.  The file path '.../' throughout refers to the
root of the Mulgara checkout.

1)  The file .../LICENSE.txt now holds the Open Software License v3.0
in place of Kowari's MPL v1.1.

2)  I have reviewed and updated the file LEGAL.txt, which holds
information about third party components.  Changes and additions to
this file included:
   - Added Kowari;
   - Updated many stale URLs;
   - Updated licenses which had changed;
   - Added the Jasper JARs (used for the JSP Resolver);

3) I have REMOVED the following two libraries.  Mulgara builds and
tests cleanly without them (with minor changes to the Ant scripts).
They were not documented in LEGAL.txt and I couldn't find anything
which needed them.  Please let me know if they should remain.
   - .../lib/rdf-api-2001-01-19.jar
   - .../lib/simple-jndi-0.9.jar

REMAINING LEGAL PROBLEMS:

4) The file .../lib/SimpleWebServerFull.jar is licensed under the GNU
GPL, which is NOT compatible with either Kowari's MPL or Mulgara's
OSL.  See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html if you are
curious why that is so.  This JAR needs to be removed BEFORE
RELEASE.  Paul has stated that he will replace its functionality and
remove it.  It is still there for the moment because I decided not to
break the build.

Regards,
Dave

--