[Mulgara-dev] Update Patterns

Andrae Muys andrae at netymon.com
Wed Dec 13 12:40:59 UTC 2006

I need some data regarding the sort of updates I need to be keeping
in mind when making design tradeoffs in XA2.

What sort of insert/deletes are people doing?
Are deletes/inserts normally paired in a single transaction?
How many statements are you insert/deleting in a single update?  Can
they be categorised?
If so what is the frequency of the different categories?
What is the 'shape' of the data you insert?
   (ie. many mostly independent sub-graphs describing different
instances; or fewer instances with lots of interconnections and
object-reference properties?)
What % of data are URI's?
What % of those URI's are distinct?
What % of the data are Literals?
Is any significant % of your literals replicated?
What % of the data are Blank-nodes?
What is the average length of a URI?
What is the average length of a Literal?

I have some ideas, but I need to write some performance tests to test
the scalability of the various components of XA2 as I build them, and
the makeup of those tests will be determined by the answers to these
questions. If I know a particular type/size of update is common, if I
know certain 'shapes' are common, then I can make sure those shapes
are simulated in the tests.

Thanks,

Andrae

--